The Sketch Engine (SkE) is designed for anyone wanting to research how words behave. It is a Corpus Query System incorporating word sketches, one-page, automatic, corpus-derived summary of a word’s grammatical and collocational behaviour.
A Sketch Engine account gives you
- Access to large corpora (30M-10B words) for 42 languages
- More languages to follow
- Build your own instant corpus
- Extract keywords
- Specialist terminology, any language
- Corpus building
- Upload and install your own corpora
Web service using standard browsers. No software installation required.
- Word Sketches were first used in the Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners (2002, 2007)
- The SkE is in daily use for lexicography at Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Collins, Le Robert and Cornelsen Verlag, among others
- It is in use for teaching and research at universities and research laboratories around the world
The Sketch Engine is a product of Lexical Computing Ltd. Lexical Computing Ltd offers a range of corpus-related services
Automatic Collocation Dictionaries
Using the Word Sketches and an algorithm for finding Good Dictionary EXamples we have generated several experimental collocation dictionaries: